Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rudyard Kipling

"Many years ago Rudyard Kipling gave an address at McGill Unviersity in Montreal.  He said one striking thing which deserves to be remembered.

"Warning the students against an over-concern for money, or position, or glory, he said:  'Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things.  Then you will know how poor you are.'"

--Halford E Luccock (quoted in Guy Kawasaki, The Art or the Start, 2004, Penguin Books Ltd.)

How close am I to being the man who cares for neither glory, nor money, nor position?  I work full time so I can have enough money, take care of my possessions so they will continue to serve me, and certainly want people to have a good opinion of me.  So, on the outside I do give care to money and possessions.  But things on the inside are different than they were a year ago.  Whereas I used to work hard so as to have enough for the future, now I work hard because that is what I enjoy.   

I remember one of my friends always had a list of things she wanted and whose conversation was about her desire to have more.  I sometimes thought of asking her, "How much is enough?" but, not wanting to insult her, never did.  But I did ask myself, "How much is enough?"  and my answer was always that I had more than enough.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home