Saturday, July 25, 2009

Under Construction (or "Watch me write.")





This entry, which has to do with self-acceptance, will be written as a blog entry.  That is, I'm going to do the initial ideas, rough draft, and final editing as a blog entry which will change and expand each day as I work on it.

So, here goes...

Jonathan Edwards is considered to be perhaps the greatest American theologian.  Between 1722 and 1723 he wrote, and committed to using, 70 resolutions.  Here is his opening paragraph and resolution number 60:  

"Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake. [I must] remember to read over these Resolutions once a week....

"60. Resolved, Whenever my feelings bgin to appear in the least out of order, when I am conscious of the least uneasiness within, or the least irregularity without, I will then subject myself to the strictest examination. July 4, and 13, 1723."  (click here to see them all)

http://thirdmill.org/newfiles/jon_edwards/PT.Edwards.resolutions.pdf

About 280 years later, on March 8, 2005, I was visiting Washington, D.C. and having lunch with my daughter, Rachel, who would be graduating from Ball State University in two months.  During our conversation, she paraphrased an idea from one of her communication classes.

"I'm not who I think I am;
I'm not who you think I am;
I'm who I think you think I am."
- Zick (quoted by Rachel at lunch in Washington, D.C. 03/08/2005)

The next time I work on this, I'll be pulling these two ideas together, along with some quotes from Carl Rogers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home